Friday, May 4, 2012

My Better Half - Emily + Dan

We met Emily and Dan Kastner on St. Patricks Day, so we figured the green wall was appropriate. We met up at Zingerman's for a blind double date. I think it's safe to say we all hit it off from the start. Lots of laughs—these two have some great stories, many which revolve around their adorable little boy Jack. They are a self proclaimed "stay at home family" (Which is my dream!) from Kalamazoo, Michigan (Yay!). Emily writes and bakes for her yummy blog Tar-Tryin' and Dan runs an online moped shop (another link here) and makes lots of coffee.

Thank you Emily + Dan for being a part of My Better Half!

My Better Half - Emily + Dan-03My Better Half - Emily + Dan

DAN
1. His degree is in ceramics and metalsmithing. (I wish he had time to make me more ceramics!)
2. He broke both of his arms when I was pregnant.
3. Has a real weakness for Thai peanut curry noodles.

EMILY
1. She makes the most amazing croissants.
2. Gets very excited to point out when clouds sit on the horizon and can be mistaken for mountains.
3. She's a great writer—even birthday cards and notes are the best.

THEIR STORY
Dan owned an adorable coffee shop here in Kalamazoo, the Rocketstar Cafe. I was in my last year of college and would pass by on my way to and from class. After a few visits, my roommate and I both had crushes on him, and we found that we were heading into the shop more (and more!) frequently. Months of visiting him at the Rocketstar with nothing more than bashful, flirty small talk passed. Dan insists this was because one of his employees was interested in me. Seeking an end to conversations of "Should I just ask him to dinner or something?" my roommate finally took the initiative for me. She threw me a small surprise birthday party and had invited him! He couldn't come, so he gave his phone number to her to give to me. She made a big to-do about the birthday card she was giving me, and made everyone watch me open it. Since we'd been jokingly competing for him, the inside fo the card read, "Happy Birthday—you owe me big!" and it had a post-it note that he'd written his number on. I literally almost threw up, couldn't stop giggling, and I turned every shade of red. I was so embarrassed, I resolved to never call or go back to his coffee shop, and ended up stopping by the coffee shop that night. In November we'll have been together for eight years and married five.

The lesson here: Stalking people pays off. Just kidding, don't stalk people! The real lesson is be quietly persistent. Nope. I don't know what the lesson is.

Thanks Emily + Dan for being a part of My Better Half!

Photos by Amanda Jane Jones
Midwest is Best t-shirt from Megan Lee Designs.

19 comments:

  1. I just saw The Five Year Engagement which features Zingerman's! I'd love to come visit and try some of their delicatessen deliciousness and maybe meet a new friend or two, too. Love this series. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are hilarious! Oh my goodness. Not going to lie, I'm extremely interested about the arm-breakage during the pregnancy now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was riding mopeds with a group of friends and stopped at a stop sign that the others were just riding through. The guy behind him thought Dan was going to run the sign too, and slammed into him when he stopped. It sent Dan flying and he landed on his arms. They broke. He rode home (!!!) and I was annoyed he was making a bunch of noise when he got home. I wasn't very nice, but I was having sleep issues! I was 6 months pregnant! When he insisted that he didn't want to go to the emergency room I made him sleep on the couch because he was whining in his sleep. (I'm the worst, apparently.) I felt bad the next day when he found out they were broken. I almost cried that I wouldn't be getting back/foot rubs for a long time. I may have cried and said "You'll never be able to hold your baby!" Sheesh, hormones!

      Delete
    2. haha, this is such a good story emily. Cree and I just died laughing.

      Delete
  3. These pictures are adorable : D What a sweet story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love!! Emily is just the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for having us, Amanda! We can't wait for more fun times with you Joneses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved hearing their story! Croissants and ceramics?! They should open a shop!! I'm a big proponent of the quiet persistence. Worked for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! I was going to ask where she got that amazing shirt! I'm so glad you posted the link. I need to buy one posthaste! Being from Indiana, I need to represent out here in Utah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?! Cree and I want to get matching ones.

      Delete
  8. Awe! I want that T-shirt too!. What an adorable couple. Yay for Kalamazoo. (went to college there too)

    ReplyDelete
  9. how adorable is their story?! It had me grinning from ear to ear. LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  10. !! that is the cutest story! i grew up in northeast ohio, and could also really use one of those shirts... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Emily, you're everywhere! It's fantastic. I love hearing about your story. And the double-arm-break! I can relate to the apprehension of not being rubbed on the feet while with child. The horror!

    Some people are talented and brilliant and start lots of awesome businesses. Dan seems to be that person. I didn't know he owned a coffee shop before he owned the moped shop before he owned the online moped shop! He's driven!

    Amanda, I really love your blog. Couples are doubley cool!
    I think the blog comment says I'm anon, but I'm Lindsey, of Glitter & Grit, Lindsey. Does it say that?

    ReplyDelete
  12. the cutest!!! these pics and stories are amazing. Thanks for wearing the midwest is best (cause duh, it totally is) :)

    - Megan (Megan Lee Designs)

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is the cutest story EVER!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good call giving Emily's t-shirt its own credits since I suddenly need one right now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Giggled so much at their story. I love these two!! Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just met these two this weekend, they are the best!

    ReplyDelete