Friday, March 9, 2012

Print

I met Rubi Jones this past January at Alt Summit. I was lucky enough to get an updo a la Rubi for one of the weekend parties. Made me wish I was her neighbor...it's pretty amazing what she can do with a can of hairspray. I've loved getting to know each of them better as we prepped for this post...such an all around interesting/creative/stylish couple! Thank you Rubi and Stanton for being a part of My Better Half!

PrintPrint

STANTON
1. Can cook one mean Spanish Tortilla
2. Has been known to rip the leather off a couch on the street (after checking it for bed bugs of course)
3. Was once a cardboard photo booth for Halloween

RUBI
1. Was a unicorn for Halloween one year
2. Takes hour-long showers
3. Wishes she had grey hair

THEIR STORY
Stanton was the cute guy I smiled at after French class in college, and 7 years later we're now married and living in Paris, France. He works in marketing for a big French company and I am a freelance hairstylist. He always gets these crazy ideas in his head that he just HAS to do, like learning how to make himself leather shoes entirely by hand, or making a desk out of copper pipes and an old tv, or making himself himself a leather satchel out of found leather (which I then decide to make my own). I have a hair blog and mostly just get to play dress up for my job by doing hair for photo shoots and fashion shows. We both design and hand make men's neck ties and accessories under our brand named STNTN and we also have a free photo booth web app called photoboother that turns any photo into a photo strip. We have started a collection of found objects from the streets of Paris including street art, wooden fruit crates, children's figurines and broken Eiffel tower souvenirs, but I promise we're not hoarders.

Thanks Rubi and Stanton for being a part of My Better Half!

Photos by Lauren Cooper

37 comments:

  1. They are ridiculously adorable. French class to Paris! So good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love this series! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited you featured them! Rubi and Stanton became good friends of ours when we all lived in NYC. I am constantly blown away by their creativity and overall coolness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just love rubi's blog . . . her work is amazing and makes me wish i could find someone like her here in TN!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for Rubi! I love their blog and they seem like such a rad couple.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a sweet series, great couple! Her coat is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. another lovely story! And her cape is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this feature. It's so charming. And her cape! So chic. =)

    Kacie
    http://www.acollectionofpassions.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh wow are these two ever cool. this series is SUCH a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love where they chose to take the pictures. They seem like such a neat + creative couple!

    Just a little side note (and I don't know if anyone else feels the same way) - I sometimes find the text on your blog a little hard to read since it's so small. Or maybe it's because of the font? I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the tip! I'll see how other people feel. :)

      Delete
  11. What a super cute couple! I love their Halloween costumes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for having us on here amanda! we were so excited to see what little drawings you would put up next to our photos. we love them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely couple! I am so inspired by these two-pretty sure there isn't anything they can't do!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, they do so many interesting things! i loved - was it the gallo's? film of rubi styling hair. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was actually tiger in a jar who did rubi's video. Both companies are fantastic videographers. :)

      Delete
  15. Ah! Their story is so cute... living in Paris would be magical.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm loving your better half posts. They are so unique and adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really love this section of your blog.Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The better half posts of yours are some of my favorites on here! I especially like the first one of you and Cree - so amazing how you got together!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This feature is the best. Specially with the illustrated details on the photos. Very lovely. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. he and drew would wreak havoc if they knew eachother!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an amazing pair, and a charmed life!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really like these my better half posts. I've always liked the term "my better half."

    (p.s. I just spent a long while looking at your website. Such pretty design over there!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well. They're just so adorable! Rubi is officially my...inspiration. Good grief she's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  24. they look so...Parisian! love the quirky facts that the couples share on this column, and i also love that rubi wants gray hair. i always say i want my hair to eventually turn all white when i get old, which i don't think will happen but here's to hoping! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. so precious! and so creative.
    I love how he can make anything from anything.

    thanks so much for the introduction, amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  26. so happy to see rubi and stanton featured here! i love rubi!

    ReplyDelete
  27. what cute couples. so happy i had some time to swing by your blog today. it's been way to long.

    ReplyDelete
  28. love her cape, the photos, and this series is incredibly inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very Cute! Actually a friend of mine JUST told me a story yesterday about their friend who makes his own shoes and took the leather from a couch on the street (after checking for bed bugs) either it was him, or someone mimicking him. Love this!

    ReplyDelete