Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A couple years ago, when I was living/interning in New York, (I can't believe these are the only photos I ever put on the blog during that time in my life...sad), my roomie and I went thrifting as often as possible. I remember one particularly hot day, we got lost trying to find a flea market. We finally found it and boy was it worth it. I got a vintage camera and a packet of old photographs all for $15...or was it $20? I don't remember exactly...but it was a good deal. Anyway, I was cleaning out my "cool stuff" box (don't judge, I bet you have one too) and came across these the other day. I feel slightly sheepish owning someone else's vintage photographs, but I can't help loving them like I do. There are probably about 50-75 photographs in the packet, these just being a couple of my favorites. They look like a fun bunch don't they?

My goal is to (in my copious free time) scan them all and eventually get them all posted because they are so delightful, it's hard not to share. (I was inspired by Julie's vintage valentine post.) Also, maybe one day someone will say, "Hey! That's my grandma." When and if that happens, I might cry because that would mean I had to give back the photographs, but I'd get over it knowing in my heart they are where they belong.

7 comments:

  1. These vintage photos are wonderful! I love the yellowing tape too. I always wonder how they make it from the families in the pictures to flea markets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost forgot about that day! It was so hot that we wandered to a mcdonalds to refill out waterbottles, which was a big no no, only to realize it was soda water! so sad. Oh the desperation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are wonderful! I am loving that little girl with the gun-what a character! I am pleased that we have similar interests of National Parks and old pictures, which oddly enough also describes an 80 year old. genius!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 80 year olds! I love it. I wonder what we'll be into when we're really 80.

    Kenz, that was such a funny day. You + heat = the funniest thing in the world. I don't think you spoke a coherent sentence for ten blocks. :) Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. amanda! this blog place of yours is just to die for! i think i could live here. yes, LIVE at (in?) your blog.

    and yes, i too have a fun stuff box. i should go through it. somewhere, i also have a bitty stash (surely not 50-70) of someone else's vintage photographs. sheepish is a good word for how i feel about having them.

    anyway i wanted to thank you for not only visiting my blog, but also for getting goosebumps :) and for commenting. i think you're one of those top-quality people i wish i'd have known better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are lovely! Great find!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love looking at old photos, they are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete