Wednesday, December 1, 2010


Guess what?!? It is December 1st and it is also Ann Arbor's first snowfall!!! It feels magical! I pulled out my boots and my huge scarf that's so bulky it resembles a neck brace. December came so fast this year. I've been having a hard time getting into the Christmas spirit...not this morning! It is such a pretty snow! Such big flakes. I feel like I'm in a snow globe. It's official. I feel Christmasy. 

Another reason I love the holidays is all the time I get to read! BUT, I've been disappointed with my last few reads. I couldn't stand Up In The Air. Couldn't stand it. I almost didn't finish.  Never Let Me Go was a great book, but made me feel a bit creepy. Curious Incident, was fascinating...but again...didn't love it. I'm almost done with Olive Kitteridge and whenever I finish reading, I always feel a bit down. It's definitely not an upper. That said, each book received tons of praise and accolades, so I've come to the conclusion that it's just me. :)

Because of that conclusion, I've decided to try branching out. I now have Jeffery Sachs' End of Poverty on my nightstand as well as What is the What by Dave Eggers. I'm a couple chapters into both and am already intrigued. I realize this means that I am now currently reading three books....but for some reason, that's just the way I've always worked. I like to keep my options open. You never know what you'll be in the mood for. Right?

Speaking of Jeffery Sachs, he was here on Monday. Quite the inspiring speaker. I also got to design the poster for his event...which made me feel like we were buds in some weird way. 


3 comments:

  1. what is the what is also a downer sometimes, so i'm interested in seeing how you like it. i thought it was good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read "Olive Kitteridge" and "What is the What." I liked Olive K, but didn't think it was life-altering or anything. Made me never want to get old.

    What is the what is heart-breaking, interesting, and triumphant.

    I love that you read so many books at the same time. Isn't it amazing you can be caught up in so many different stories at the same time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i felt the same about never let me go, have you seen the preview for the movie they're making based on it? keira knightley's in it and it looks kind of amazing!

    ReplyDelete