Wednesday, October 20, 2010

IMG_0689IMG_0686IMG_0687

Cree and I had our first orientation meeting at the Robot Shop downtown a couple nights ago. The Robot Shop is one of many tutoring facilities started all around the US by author Dave Eggers. There's the Spy shop in Chicago, The Superhero store in Brooklyn, The Space Shop in Seattle, The Pirate store in LA and a couple others. I personally think the Robot Shop has the best design. :)


Each night of the week they are open for tutoring, then during the day and weekends they hold writing workshops for kids. Cree is all for tutoring with his Teach for America background, but I'm not so keen on the idea. It kind of makes me really nervous. They do however need graphic designers to help layout and design the books the students write...awesome huh?  I'm sure they have tons of people volunteer, but I'm hoping with all my heart they ask me to help. At orientation I won two of the student published books. (Made my day because I never win anything!) They were filled with short stories by local elementary students and they just about melted my heart with cuteness. I'll keep you posted on our Robot progress. 

9 comments:

  1. I love this! I think I would feel the same way about tutoring-it would make me nervous-like they would see right through it all and realize that I am not really that smart. ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! Amanda you will do great! The guy is a smart person for coming up with such creative names for tutoring places, the font is also great (which I am sure you already know)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing this because I live 4 blocks from the Seattle Travel Space store/tutoring place. Dave Eggers had such a good idea putting these all over. I hope you get picked for designing book covers too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a lot of fun and I agree, the Robot design kicks butt!

    I checked out your website and love love love the work you do! You're so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like so much fun -what a great place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool place- some of my friends are in the middle of applying for Teach for America, too, so I'm sure they would love this place too :)

    kenzie
    ps love your blog- thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh boy! I did not see this when I lived there. Is it new?

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes, i think it moved to that location just a couple years ago...it's pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Amanda, I was perusing your lovely and sweet blog and was happy to see the store as part of your daily life. I have worked for the center in SF and now in LA and when I look at all the talented designers and bloggers I think there should be a movement to get all of you volunteering to make beautiful books for kids. We ALWAYS, ALWAYS need people like you and I'm sure Amy or Amanda made that super clear, especially because you're just so so talented! I know this post was a long time ago but I'd love to hear if you ever made any chapbooks for them.

    *Mari

    ReplyDelete